Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Vendor Spotlight :: Bluebird Cakes

I first discovered Bluebird Cakes through the wonders of social media. I noticed other industry vendors talking about this new company and when I checked it out I first loved their adorable logo and then fell further in love with all the beautiful sweets! I got a chance to work with Amanda of Bluebird Cakes for my best friends baby shower where she created custom sugar cookie favors. Because I am such a huge fan of their work I wanted to share some details of there business on the blog. Next time you need any specialty sweets, cake, or cookies make sure to contact Bluebird Cakes !

Who is the owner behind Bluebird Cakes and what is your baking experience?
I am essentially a business of 1! My name is Amanda Van Unen and I am the owner and lead baker at Bluebird Cakes.

I studied cooking at the Dubrulle French Culinary School in Vancouver. My apprenticeship years were spent with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts working at the Banff Springs Hotel. It was my time in the pastry department of the Springs that really fuelled my love of baking. After receiving my Red Seal certification in 1997 I moved to Edmonton and joined the kitchen at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald.  When my daughter was born I left the industry to concentrate on family life but really missed the kitchen. It took me until after the birth of my son to realize that my baking talents could be developed into a successful business. Soon after that Bluebird Cakes was born. 

What type of products does Bluebird Cakes specialize in?
Bluebird Cakes specializes in one-of-a kind, special occasion cakes but we also make signature cupcakes, hand decorated sugar cookies, and whatever special requests come my way.

What is your favorite pastry to make? To eat?
My favourite pastry to make would probably be sugar cookies. I love decorating cookies and have amassed a fairly impressive (and constantly expanding) cookie cutter collection.
 
As far as eating goes, I am more of a salt/savoury person so just give me the cheese plate and you can have the cake. 

Do you have suggestions for unique event or wedding pastries?
I am a big fan of individual desserts. No muss, no fuss and everyone gets a portion. Whether it be cupcakes, individual “shots” of tiramisu, tartlets, cake pops, or whoopie pies I love them all. Bear in mind that you can still have a ceremonial cake for cutting so you won’t miss out on the tradition. 

What are some tips for ordering event and wedding pastries?
At Bluebird we book up fast! The best tip I can offer is to confirm your date with your preferred baker and get your deposit in.
Credit: Capture it! Photography (Photography) A Modern Proposal (Planning)

Credit: A Modern Proposal

Credit: Bluebird Cakes (Facebook page)

Credit: Bluebird Cakes (Facebook page)

Credit: Bluebird Cakes (Facebook page)

No comments:

Post a Comment